Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Tuesday 23 September 2014

A nation that belongs to all the people


We celebrate Heritage Day to give recognition to our cultural heritage and the diversity of beliefs and traditions.


The day formerly known as Shaka Day, has the objective for South Africans to commemorate, no matter what your background, your heritage. This in a nutshell means no one should forget who and what he/she is and where you come from. On the 24th September you can celebrate your culture, history and background – therefore it’s called Heritage-day.


Former President, Nelson Mandela called us the Rainbow nation to describe the different culture, tradition, history and languages and the day is meant to celebrate this diversity.
I was born in a coloured community in the early 1980’s, when apartheid was still a reality. “Jy kon in die tronk beland net omdat jy ‘swart’ is.” I live in the new South Africa now. “Waar ek vry is en kan vier wie ek is.”
I can’t help but wonder, am I commemorating my heritage on the 24th of September or am I celebrating democracy?


On Heritage Day, I am not only supposed to celebrate my own heritage, but reach out beyond the different cultural borders. Unity, nation building, reconciliation and patriotism should be at the order of the day. It is sad though that this is not the reality, but rather the day is just another public holiday.


Archbishop of Cape Town, Thabo Makgoba, during the 20th February historic FW de Klerk-speech celebrations in 2011 said there are many things that unite us as South Africans.
For the past few years, South Africans have celebrated Braai Day on/with Heritage Day. The aim of this is to give recognition to the South African culinary tradition of holding informal backyard barbecues/braais.


In an interview for Braai Day in 2012, former Western Cape Cultural Affairs and Sport Minister, Dr. Ivan Meyer, said Braai Day reached cultural status. “People talk with each other and the day gives an opportunity to talk about the history and look forward to the future.”
Or as patron of National Braai Day, Emeritus Archbishop Desmond Tutu affirmed the day on September 5th 2007, “to be a unifying force in a divided country”.



We should not only celebrate our own heritage but also that which we inherited. We need to celebrate the nature, places of scientific and historical importance, national monuments, historic buildings, art, literature, music, vocal traditions and museums.

Former President, Nelson Mandela, during the second Heritage day celebrations said “if we as a nation want to rise like the phoenix from the ash, from the oppression and conflict of the past, we need to recognize those who devoted their work and talent for the goal of a non-racial democracy”.

No comments:

Post a Comment