Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Friday 13 February 2015

Radio has taught me a lot of things


Today is World Radio Day and I was asked to share my input on radio. Firstly this year’s theme is Celebrating Radio by youth for youth in safety andsecurity and I entered the field when I was only 17. Looking back at more than a decade I can honestly say I don’t regret one moment.

Radio is an interesting, yet challenging and demanding space, which requires and teaches you to respond fast and then think quickly.
Radio is about much more than just entertainment and sharing of information. Whether you tune in for the latest hit, hear an interview with your favourite artist, want to be informed with the news, avoid peak traffic and get a heads up on how’s the weather to plan your outfit – radio has it all.

From a silly joke the one moment, to entertainment the next and on the flip side a serious debate on current affairs.
Whether you switch on or off and tune in again later, sound will welcome you back.
Radio has the potential to move through space and reach communities that even the internet is still struggling to get to – yet the importance of radio is sometimes forgotten by the masses and ignored by the voices behind the microphones.

Even though about a quarter of the world’s population is between the ages of 10 and 24 – and I was one of the lucky ones – there is a lack of young voices on our airwaves.
Young people struggle to find opportunities in the radio sector – some being picky by not wanting to start at campus or community radio and others who feel their voice needs to be on air.
Fact is radio is about more than the voices you hear on air, it’s about the team behind the scenes that put everything together.
But young people are not only neglected with their representation at radio stations, but also content on radio stations. We hear very little how youth issues are addressed and actioned on air.

Dr. Ivy Matsepe-Casaburi, the late minister of Communications, on a few occasions said community radio is important for our democracy and the sector.
I agree with the late minister and always told my (community) radio colleagues: we suppose to work hand in hand with our local authorities as they have to deliver services in the area we broadcast and we have the medium to raise and highlight the needs of the communities and what services should be delivered.

My radio journey started in a newsroom and ironically this is where it ended, but not after I had to opportunity to walk in different.
My first on air experience was doing a news bulletin: I was nervous and scared but not excited and before I knew it I was signing off.
My first presenting experience came when I got to co-present the breakfast show – eventually I got to wake up everyone alone, while I was still asleep. I was given the opportunity to present a youth show, drive time, Top 30, Saturday breakfast and love show and current affairs.

Apart from the on air experience and journey, I also had the opportunity to play a role off air and continue to do so.
I went from music compiling to writing news bulletins and also running the newsroom, assisting the marketing, managing the programs department by making sure there is always a show. I’ve even been given the task to make sure the radio station comply with its licence conditions and then there were the brief stunts by managing the radio station

There’s a saying once the radio bug got to you, it won’t let you go and this is true!

Over the more than a decade I had the rare opportunity to anchor a weekly Mayor Show addressing issues and answering questions with the mayor. I had the opportunity to meet presidents, ministers, premiers and other prominent individuals.

Radio has taught me a lot of things.
Radio build, develop and strengthen not only my skills but also my character and for that I will forever be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment