Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Tuesday 2 August 2016

It's all about the X

On 3 August more than 26 million of my fellow 54 million South African’s can like me go and make their X. 
We will get the opportunity to choose a political party and ward candidate to represent our needs and deliver on their promises.
Once I have made that cross I will have to live with our collective decision on who will represent my ward and govern my municipal area. 
It is thus important that when I make my X I do so with prise and use my vote wisely.
Just fewer than 50,000 of the more than 3 million Western Cape voters are between 18 and 19 and will make their X for the first time. They/we will get to pick from a record 200 parties and 61 014 candidates contesting the 2016 Municipal Elections; this is approximately 65% more parties and 12% more candidates than in 2011.
Some experts have called this the most important election since that all important 1994 one. All elections are important though, but what would make this one interesting is to see if we as voters will vote according to our needs or based on our loyalty.

Our vote is more than an opportunity it is a responsibility that gives us access to the right to hold our public representatives accountable. Our vote is not just worth five minutes, but indeed five years. Five years to hold those whom we elect accountable to serve the basic needs of the community.
The past few months we have seen various service delivery protests across the country. Just like no person is perfect, so is no party and each hold their own battles Racism, quotas in sport, corruption, a private jet, spy tapes and many other issues are important. What we sometimes forget is to put realistic solutions on the table on issues affecting the everyday lives of especially the poor.
While we worry about a new presidential jet or a racist post on social media, there is a grandma taking care of her 5 grandchildren wondering where will she get tomorrow’s supper. While discuss quotas in sport, the parents of a talented young sport player don’t have the funds to provide him with clothes to practice in.
Yes this election is like all previous and those to come important. 

This election is an opportunity the voter can vote for their needs and who will make a real change in their lives. This local government election is an opportunity for the voter to vote based on your needs, to vote for who can make a change in your life and not just on paper or a poster.
When I walk into the VD and hold my ballot paper, standing alone, I will hold my breath and think that no matter how imperfect our democratic process might or might not be it is still a privilege to vote. A privilege my great-grandparents never had the opportunity to enjoy.
Yes Zuma, Maimane, Malema, Lekota, Prince Buthulezi, Zanele, Godi and the Mulders will come to mind, as will local leaders. But I will also think of Madiba, Oliver, Walter, Albertina, Helen, Frederick, Dullah, Kader, Ashley and the many others who had to pay a prize for me to enjoy this responsibility.
I will take a moment and think of the many challenges in my community and who can address it best.
I will think of human rights, freedom of expression, speech, the press and association. I will think of the rights of minorities, celebrating ethnic diversity and a dream of social cohesion. I will think of poverty, social challenges like drug abuse, teenage pregnancy, HIV, youth unemployment and even the stigma against my LGBTI (gay) friends.
I will also think of peace and hope that you too will use your vote wisely.
Enjoy the responsibility to vote. Vote with pride and walk out of the polling station knowing that you did the right thing.

It is all about the cross!

Original Opinion Piece appeared in Paarl Post of Thursday 28 July 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment