Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Tuesday 26 February 2019

All good deeds are not good


This is an open letter to the URCSA Wellington Presbytery

25th February 2019

Chairperson & members
Brothers and Sisters
URCSA Wellington Presbytery

Greetings in the name of my Creator and Saviour.

In life I’ve learned not all good deeds are good and that some can cause more harm than good. Allow me to from the onset state I could not care two flies what you as Presbytery do or don’t do, as my God and I have a solid healthy relationship.

I’ve received numerous messages though, from LGBTQI young people within the Presbytery.
It firstly takes courage for any person to type a message to reach out. Secondly no cry for help should just be ignored. It is with the above background that I’m directing this communique to you.

In an open letter to the church in October 2016, myself and three fellow URCSA-members, wrote: “As members of URCA we are concerned at the churches prophetic voice towards LGBTQI congregants and community.”
We further asked: “The church in love and the spirit of the Belhar Confession not to let LGBTQI-members suffer any further.”

Prior to the above I wrote in an opinion piece: “Apart from the conservative view the church will always hold, you cannot help to ask yourself why it takes the church – who preach love – to show love. The answer is that the church must act church orderly, within ecumenical rules.”

As per my social media accounts I initially thought the panel discussion the Presbytery is planning for Thursday is something good. Having viewed the poster of the panel discussion I am deeply offended, insulted and ashamed.

I take offence in the use of the term “homoseksualisme”. In no formal or informal documentation of URCSA is this term used. It also has a negative connotation, that was used some years ago as part of hate-speech. The term itself and the use thereof creates the impression that the organisers and thus the Presbytery, and one can interpret the panel (unless a correction is made by them) have a preconceived opinion that homosexuality is wrong.

I’ve previously asked the numerous (waste of time) URCSA Commissions how many of the panel members are gay/lesbian or have immediate family who is?
If none, my interpretation is that your panel will share textbook experience.

Following the tragic events at 13:30 on Saturday 8th October 2016 at the 7th General Synod of Uniting Reformed Church in Southern Africa, one of the members of the first URCSA Homosexuality Task Team, made the following remark: “URCSA has no testicular fortitude in leading the church on the LGBTQ-matter and therefore finds all kind of excuses for not pronouncing on it”.

Friends in Christ allow me with due respect to have the testicular fortitude to tell you that your approach is unconsidered; disrespectful; offensive; just plain wrong.
You are proving the stories of Angelo, Theo, Carlton, Ashwin, Astrid, Belinda, Lindsey, Victor and many others will thus never be told or heard.

If you ignore everything above, take this to heart: ill-advised actions have led to suicide. It is often not what is said but what not and how not. Many of you will never grasp the pressure and depression LGBTQI-persons sit with, just viewing your ill-advised poster. As Christian my plea is let's stop homophobia and not contribute to it. 

Be bold, be brave, be leaders.

You friend in Christ
Earl September

No comments:

Post a Comment