Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Saturday 9 August 2014

women is WOW-man




Their slogan was "if you strike a women, you strike rock". Some might not believe this, others question it.
A few decades ago a few hundred of women, marched to the Union Buildings against the Apartheid-regime’s pass-law. This march was led by Lilian Ngoyi, Helen Joseph, Albertina Sisulu and Sophia Williams-De Bruyn.

Every year August 9th we hear woman marched against apartheid laws, yes this is true. But woman realised for change to come to this country, they would also have to stand up and be heard, they realised the men of the country would not be able to shape South Africa into a country for all. These woman stood by what they believed.


I feel the need though to ask this year, "can we truly celebrate Women's Day, if:
(1) a women is raped every 26 to 36 seconds in our country? 
(2) 2.1% of women age 16 and older reported that they had been sexually abuse?
(3) One in four woman reported having been abused by an intimate partner?
(4) A husband or boyfriend kills a woman every six hours?
(5) A woman being raped over the age of 25, has one in four chances that her attacker is HIV positive?


It is important that we as society educate ourselves that Women’s Day is not just celebrating woman who stood up against apartheid law but a reminder of the role woman play and they show courage and strength. 

Preachers will tell you, the female came from side - not the head to sit on, feet to be walked over, but side to be equal.

Someone once told me woman are like men, the difference is they WOW-men. There’s something in every lady that makes them wow

Once we start to speak out and take a zero-tolerance attitude as citizens if we see women abuse, we can in my view truly commemorate Women's Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment