Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Wednesday 9 October 2013

We might never be ready for Madam President, but we need her

I saw the headline ANC Women’s League saying South Africa is not ready for a female president. 
My immediate reaction was: “and this is a leader of a women’s organisation, suppose to lead other women, saying this!” now I could probably question her leadership style and capabilities, but that’s not my worries, at least not right now.
I’ve been thinking, is saying this not a slap in the face of the many female activist? 
People like Bertha Mhkize, Florence Matomela,Fatima Meer, Bibi Dawood, Lillian Ngoyi, Ray Alexander, Helen Joseph, Amina Cachalia, Rahima Moosa, Sophie Williams and many more.
Before I continue, let me first state, South Africa does not have a shortage of female leaders and as a guy I am willing to admit some of our female leaders are way better than some of our male leaders.
Back to that statement that South Africa is not ready for a female president....
Angie Motshekga, ANC Women’s League leader, I agree with you – South Africa is not ready for a female president. But then again South Africa was probably not ready for democracy, nor were we ready for corruption in the public sector, or GuptaGate, Arms Deal, Nkandlagate, shall I continue or stop here?
South Africa’s slogan after democracy became alive with possibility but for the past almost two years our new slogan has been: Inspiring new ways. Is it not then time to start with our Commander-in-Chief?
Now the big question: Like really, who should we elect?
Irrespective of political affiliation names that come to mind for the position of female president and for some reason top of my list is the longest-serving female minister dr. Lindiwe Sisulu (current Human Settlements minister, daughter of struggle stalwarts Walter and Albertina) then there’s one of my favourite politicians Patricia de Lille (executive mayor of Cape Town).
Sisulu was previously minister of Intelligence, Defence and Military Veterans as well as Public Service and Administration.
De Lille was previously Western Cape Social Development minister and Chairperson of the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Transport.


Other possible strong candidates could include 
  • Helen Zille (Western Cape Premier and former DA Leader)
  • Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma (former African Union Chairperson and former minister of Home Affairs, Foreign Affairs and Health)
  • Naledi Pandor (Science and Technology Minister)
  • Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka (executive director of UN Women and South Africa’s first female deputy president)
  • Dr. Hlengiwe Mhkize (deputy minister Telecommunications and Postal Services) and 
  • Baleka Mbete (National Assembly Speaker, ANC National Chairperson and former Deputy President)

Female leaders as contenders I’m not so sure about are Mamphela Ramphele (former AgangSA leader) and adv. Thuli Madonsela (former Public Protector of South Africa). 
Names I might just consider throwing into the hat (in no particular order) include 
  • Lindiwe Mazibuko (former DA Parliamentary Leader), 
  • Sandra Botha (former Ambassador to Czech Republic and DA Parliamentary leader), 
  • Rhoda Kadalie (founder of Gender Equity Unit) and even 
  • Brigalia Bam (former Chairperson of the IEC).

I can’t help but wonder though how would a presidency under dr. Frene Ginwala (former Speaker of Parliament), Sophie Williams-De Bruyn (anti-apartheid activist), Graca Michael (wife of late former president Nelson Mandela) or Winnie Madikizela-Mandela (former wife of Madiba) would be. Okay maybe not Winnie, but I can’t help wondering.
It has become a trend for South Africa to copy the United States, however not on the political front and this is somewhat good. South Africa had a black president before America.
Former US First Lady and Secretary of State Hilary Clinton won the popular vote in the 2016 US Presidential election but Donald Trump secured enough Electoral College votes to get to the White House.
Come 2020 who knows it might be another former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice against another former First Lady Michelle Obama.
Our next General Election is in 2019 and it looks like we might be one step ahead of the free world again.

On the question? I agree with the ANC Women’s League, South Africa is not ready to elect our first female president, but we sure can elect our first Madam President.
This blog was updated on 17 March 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment