Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Monday 2 December 2013

PA’s political xmas gift

End November saw the birth of yet another political party in South Africa and in particular the Western Cape. The birth of political parties has become a trend, before an election, so what makes this one stand out.
For starters some claim it was started by Businessman aka sushi-king, Kenny Kunene and his business associate, Gayton McKenzie. They might be the resources support of this party and Kenny might have registered the party – I mean like in really get someone who will give you a catchy headline to register your party and you will definitely get more than a community newspaper covering your conference – but I doubt this is their brainchild.
I firmly believe Kenny is not the driving force behind the Patriotic Alliance. Kenny might have the money, but it is a community leader on grassroots level who can mobilize more than a hundred, even two hundred people, to attend a political gathering. Not even Julius Malema’s Economic Freedom Fighters-party (of which Kenny was first a member) could attract 50 people to its gathering in Cape Town recently (I think they were even less than ten). And JuJu is well a bigger political force than Kenny.
I have this theory in my head that the driving force behind PA is the many unhappy former Independent Democrats-members, the party started in 2003 by former PAC MP now Cape Town Executive Mayor under the banner of the Democratic Alliance, Patricia De Lille. In 2010/2011 the ID and DA decided on dual membership and while some ID-members might have joined the DA, let’s not turn a blind eye to the many who decided not to follow the leader.
Interesting or part of PA’s strategy to note the Patriotic Alliance’s Policy (launch) Conference took place the same weekend as the Independent Democrats held their last conference.
The ID will cease to exist, as it will not take part in next years General Elections and also did not take part in the 2011 Local Government Elections.
Not that my opinion matters but do I think PA can go up against a few heavyweights? If next year was a LGE, without a doubt they might have won a council or two, even three.

Taking the performance of the ID, Cope, ACDP and a few others in a General Election into consideration, it would not surprise me if PA actually won a seat in the provincial legislature, flip not even a seat in the National Assembly would surprise me. I don’t think though that they would get enough votes to govern or even be the official opposition. I don’t even think they would get a million votes. I do know though I would not ignore PA and Push Asside their bark, they appealing to a very influential group/s in the Western Cape and if their leaders in the community could get more than a hundred people to a meeting without any advertising, publicity or mentioning of PA before their official launch, they likely to double those numbers now.

No matter who you voting for, it's important to make your X in #Election2014

No comments:

Post a Comment