Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Monday 9 June 2014

Is free Wi-Fi good or bad for Metrorail


Metrorail announced that it would be rolling out free Wi-Fi on Cape Town station later this month and soon after that on the Southern line, before extending this to other lines. This benefit comes despite the crippling service where daily you hear of delays. I was asked do I agree with the Wi-Fi benefit.

This is my answer:
We should admit that yes Metrorail Western Cape is in the ICU and the service will not get better overnight (okay within three to six or even 12months). The lack of service is something I mentioned in a previous blog: Visiting critical but not stable Metrorail
While one can do the blame-game, this will not better the service and that is what should receive attention.
Metrorail Western Cape cannot promise a reliable service within 2014, but they can promise better communication with and to commuters with dedicated staff. They can also promise to take atleast once a week a train in peak-time to understand the frustration of commuters. 

Now about Wi-Fi:
Data cost in the country is expensive, no matter which network provider you use. Anyone with a smartphone, using data will welcome free Wi-Fi.
Considering the delays and most people make use of social networks like bbm, whatsapp, Facebook and Twitter – if you late because your train is delay or has been cancelled and you need to take another one, you will now atleast not have to make use of your own data but the free Wi-Fi that Metrorail is providing, to inform your loved ones that you will be late and give an estimated time of when they can expect you.
I would think that students would be happy about this announcement as they can now download music with the free Wi-Fi and even movies.

Mthura Swartz, outgoing regional manager Metrorail Western Cape, explains
the 
Metrorail Wi-Fi

So do I agree with it?
If it’s Metrorail’s way of keeping commuters quiet? Then without a second thought, NO!
If it’s their way to try and compensate commuters? I agree and disagree. I agree because they want to compensate commuters but disagree for not keeping ticket prices the same in the current financial year due to the service being critical.
If it’s Metrorail’s way of admitting the digital world is expanding and want to give commuters added value? Then I agree.


Wi-Fi is not and can never be a substitute for the poor service, but Metrorail should be commended for this benefit that commuters will be enjoying. My only hope now is that Metrorail will better their communication and customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment