Earl September

My photo
I write what ever comes to mind. Real is me and my views/opinion. Be Yourself, be REAL Open-minded young South African who loves to follow South African politics and social issues. I try not to limit myself as I'm capable of more than where I'm now.

Tuesday 3 June 2014

Classify me as South African


This morning our complex had no water... The social media addict I am sent out a tweet to the City of Cape Town and I tagged Gisela Kaiser, executive director for Utility Services at the City of Cape Town, ald. Patricia De Lille, executive mayor of Cape Town and Helen Zille, premier of the Western Cape.
Not that I owe anyone an explanation, I tagged them because it is the director of the relevant department and de Lille and Zille are our public representatives and political head of the city and province.
Kaiser responded swiftly, an official called me and explained what happened and both apologised.
Zille also responded on the tweet saying she would ask Gisela to respond immediately. This response to my tweet, got the following response: "black citizens in your city are getting kicked out of their homes and the gvt. must fix it. But whites get helped immediately?" 
The person then said "I assumed Earl was white because he had his issue fixed "immediately" in the WC. Was I wrong?"
I replied on the first: why must race be an issue? I am a South African citizen. On the second I said we shouldn't always assume. My race should not be an issue.
I understand and respect our country's historic background, but feel despite this and 20years into democracy - race should not be the first thing that pops up.
I doubt if in other countries you would ask what is his/her race, you would rather ask what is the person's nationality.
I thought of this I am coloured and blessed when reading the tweets. 
Yes I am coloured and proud to be coloured, but please classify me as South African!




No comments:

Post a Comment